Saturday, July 18, 2009

Forbidden City

Here are some pictures of the Forbidden City.


This is the famous gate where Mao's portrait is hung. (According to my guide, they replace this painting every year.)

Inside the walls:



I won't bore you with more pictures of buildings (there are plenty elsewhere).
My guide took me to a gift shop towards the end of the tour. The shop was curiously absent of any Chinese people (who, interestingly, made up 80% of the tourists in the Forbidden City). I ended up being persuaded to buy some calligraphy from Aisin-Gioro Yuming, a nephew of the last Emperor Puyi. He was just sitting there, waiting for unsuspecting tourists to walk in. What a way to spend the day.


Oh, and that Starbucks that they had inside the Forbidden City? It was closed after public protest and replaced with a Chinese-brand coffee shop.

From the Seattle Times in 2007:

2 comments:

  1. You got quite a bit put on--and your writing is good; I enjoyed reading it and seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to above.Interesting about Starbucks. I get you could have used a cappiccino after all those lines in Forbidden City!

    ReplyDelete