Saturday, July 18, 2009

Observations in Beijing

From my journal on my first day in China.

Observations in Beijing:


  • Lots of traffic (I'm stuck in a taxi right now).
  • Many guys--young and old--pull up their shirts and expose their stomachs while walking down the street (a method of cooling off, I assume).
  • People don't seem to pay any attention to me as a foreigner [this proved not to be true--over the next few days several university students came up to me while I was walking down the street and started talking to me in English].
  • China reminds me some of how Japan looked when Japan was booming in the 1980s.
  • There is an energy here. People seem eager.
  • Lots of traffic. And honking. [Rules for honking in China. 1. If the car in front of you is too slow, honk. 2. If the car in front of you is stopped to pay a toll, honk. 3. Basically, if there is a car in front of you, honk.]
  • Lots of concrete and grey buildings.
  • Some nice cars on the road (Mazda, Volkswagen, Audi). [The nicer ones seem to all have licence plates with 8's and 9's on them.]
  • Not as many scooters as I thought. [There were many more in Xi'an. There I often saw women riding side-saddle on the back of scooters without hanging on to anything!]
  • Not as many bicycles either. Mainly cars. Lots of cars.
  • Lots of new construction around the Forbidden City. Upscale hotels, etc.





Here is a picture of a typical taxi. At 25 yuan ($3.65) for a 20 minute ride, I thought taxis were cheap, until I realized that buses cost 1 yuan.



China seems to have about everything the West has now--yes, even a Hooters. Way to go, China (said loaded with sarcasm).

No comments:

Post a Comment